Complete France Forum

stolen from car while at garage :(

hoverfrog

I took my car into the garage for repairs, and left my daughter's riding hat and body protector in the back, also my riding hat. The garage did a good job on the bodywork, but when I went to pick up the car it was on the other side of the road, unlocked and with the window open. Needless to say the ridsing gear wasn't in it - although I only realised a day later when I needed it!

Is there any point making a fuss? I have no proof the stuff was there, I didn't keep the receipts, and was planning to replace my hat and her body-protector anyway!

My chainsaw sharpening tools were still there - tucked in the back of my seat but visible!

Even if you do not want to make a claim because of lack of proof, you

should still make sure they know what has happened, if only because your car is in in their care and is their responsibility until you collect it.

No need for unpleasantness but I would definitely let them know what has happened and how it happened.

Many thanks for the replies.

well I suppose I will have to go and say something to the man at the garage, although as I hate any kind of confrontation I'm not looking forward to it!

I think he must know about it as his behaviour was a little strange when I picked up the car, so I will have to think out my french carefully first :) Some usefull phrases in those replies for ways of saying I know these things were knicked while the car was in his care and he should be aware of it etc, etc!

Oh well - let that be a lesson to everyone - never leave anything in a car you take to the garage!!!

Archived