Complete France Forum

Is Mairies permission necessary?

tonshun

A year ago, a friend bought a modern house with land. She also gained the old house on the same terrain that the previous owner lived in before he had the new one built. Having now decided not to renovate the old house, she is looking to divide up the land (using a geometre) and sell the old house and some land whilst keeping the new one for herself. Does she need permission from the Maire to do this? Thanks in advance!

Depending onthe location of the property in the commune, the mairie will always have first priority of purchase regardless and this is how many of the new lotissements come about, but as I say, depends on the exact location in regard to the centre of the commune.

[quote user="tonshun"]Thanks Nick.
The house was last lived in 27 years ago. Still has water, elec, roof has been maintained but is an otherwise blank canvas.
Is this long enough to request a certificat d'urbanism?
[/quote]

I would have them apply for one - as I said, it would make the land easier to sell (especially as, as is likely to be the case, it will be cheaper to start agai & build a new hose).

As Val says, the Mairie have a "droite de preemption" anyway, although this is part ofthe selling process & will be handled by the Notaire.

Archived