Complete France Forum

un petit problème

mint

Please bear with me whilst I describe my little difficulty after which I am going to ask what you would have (or might already have) done in similar circumstances.

Last week our cantonnier knocked off the top of one of gate posts with his tractor.  He owned up to it and said he'd come back to repair it.  When we had the chance to look at the damage the following day, we could see that the whole of the capital (top) of the pillar had been knocked off and that the damage extended to the stone cladding all round the top half of the pillar.

We are friendly with the cantonnier and his family and we don't doubt that he would come back and do a bit of a repair job.  As most cantonniers of small villages, he can turn his hand to various small jobs and he has in fact done various things around our garden and house with the full knowledge of the maire and for which we pay him.

I have waited a few days for him to return and tell us how he is going to effect the repairs.  We have kept the pieces that have been knocked off and taken photos.  It's not an expensive job as it's only bog standard reconstitued stone cladding but the exposed concrete pillar under the cladding is going to be vulnerable to frost damage.  In fact frost could blow the rest of the cladding off.

Apart from the unsightliness, I am also worried that the replaced cladding would not match the other pillar.  If that is the case, I would want both pillars to be suitably "cladded" to look as before.

I intend to go to the mairie this week and talk the matter over.  Would/should there be a constat filled in?  I am keen that they pay for all of the repairs and that we would not be expected to claim off our own insurance.

Your best diplomatic and non jokey suggestions of the best way to resolve this, svp. 

One of the things I admire most about French people is their ability to make their point in a straightforward manner without rancour and without demur ..

So, in my view, a French person would not have politely waited but would have reminded said cantonnier pretty promptly that he needed to repair the damage he had caused, before further damage entailed due to inclement weather.

Sue, I have belled the cat!  Or at least caught up with the cantonnier[:D]

Was on my way to the mairie armed with the camera to show the pictures when I found Marco outside, cleaning the paved areas.  He came over at once and said he would be buying the stuff needed and he described to me what he would be doing.

The weather has been affreux and it wouldn't have been possible to do this type of repair.  So hoping the weather will be dry enough next week.

Thanks again for your excellent advice.  I find it always helps to have someone with whom to talk things through; nothing like it to clarify the muddleness inside my head!