Complete France Forum

Personal registration

Bob W.

Are you required to legally register your residency status in France, as is the case in Germany? I am now living roughly 40% in France and see it as my "home" when not at work, but I have no taxable income in France.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

That's a tricky one - assuming you are an EC citizen then there is no longer any legal requirement to get titre de sejour - i.e. an identity card for non-French. But you say you regard France as your home, which presumably means you consider your French house as your principal residence. So in that case you should get a tax form when they are available later in the year and submit it, this will get you into the system which will probably be advantageous.

I don't know where your income arises, or how you are set up for health care and social security - this could be important. If you are French resident you are required to declare your worldwide income, though generally if it has been taxed elsewhere you should not need to pay tax again in France.

[quote user="Will "]

I don't know where your income arises, or how you are set up for health care and social security - this could be important. If you are French resident you are required to declare your worldwide income, though generally if it has been taxed elsewhere you should not need to pay tax again in France.

[/quote]

But, as always, it is not about tax, it is about social charges. If Bob "declares" himself resident in France - by informing the Inland Revenue & the Hotel des Impots, then he will be liable for social charges in France, and not in the UK - the dual taxation treaty doesn't cover social charges, which you can end up paying twice.

The OP should think very carefully & take good (professional!) advice before taking a step like this.

Archived