Complete France Forum

Cohabiting couple need legal help in Vendee

monique

HELP my partner and I are going to France soon ( like next week !!!) and we desperately need advice in France re- our situation and buying .As we hope to buy while we are there this is rather imminent.We shall be in the Fontenay le comte /Lucon area from Februar 2. SO if anyone out there can really ,hand on heart, recommend anyone in the legal business in that area we shall be grateful.We have read but still find it a minefield .Thanks to all

February the 2nd as you say just around the corner.  The purchase here in France is somewhat difficult if one say is not in a coventional relationship.  From my standpoint I am married but no children but my wife has children from two previous marriages it is then a minefield.  There are many on this forum and who have detailed knowledge and background to and of the issues that are facing you and who have lived in France for a long time.

However this is a serious matter for you and I absolutely recommend that you take appropriate legal advice but within the timescale you envisage I think it is a problem.  If it were me and only my view I think I would wish to be as certain as I could as to the opportunities and downsides before I came and however attractive the prospect is of buying next week I would think long and hard................

Relationships end relationships begin.....................  I am not saying that this applies or would apply in your case but you are making a major decision and all major decisions must be made only after a great deal or research and indeed taking appropriate advice.

The law is continuing evolving here (as in the UK) so I am not sure what the up to date position is......however I am postive that you will see some postings from others more knowledgeable than I

wish you well

[quote user="monique"]HELP my partner and I are going to France soon ( like next week !!!) and we desperately need advice in France re- our situation and buying .As we hope to buy while we are there this is rather imminent.We shall be in the Fontenay le comte /Lucon area from Februar 2. SO if anyone out there can really ,hand on heart, recommend anyone in the legal business in that area we shall be grateful.We have read but still find it a minefield .Thanks to all
[/quote]

If you haven't signed for anything yet (as in a compromis de vente), then you do not have a problem. If, when you find the property you want to buy you describe your situation to the Notaire, he will advise you as to the appropriate course of action (and write the appropriate clauses into the acte de vente). It will cost you a few hundred (at most) Euro's - if you leave it until after you have bought the house, then it can/will cost you thousands.

Archived