Complete France Forum

Termites and Asbestos report

Frank & Rosie

I agree, a notaire or agent should suggest a company. Otherwise look for 'expert agréé' or 'Diagnostic immobilier'. If you are looking for individual surveys, then asbestos is 'amiante', lead is 'plomb', energy is 'thermique' and the termite inspection is 'infestation'. You may also need a drainage survey, or 'assainissement'.

Thank you for your replies. I shall have a look through Pages Jaunes. We are living in Woking in Surrey at present and are buying one of my brother's barns in Firbeix 24 to convert. He is selling it to us on the understanding that everything that needs doing and paying for is done by ourselves which is fair enough as they have their hands full with renovating their farmhouse. My husband and I are trying hard to learn French but at present it is not at all good so we need to be able to converse in English (my brother and sister-in-law are the same). Bearing in mind it is a stone barn, I presume we will only need reports for termites and asbestos (although no asbestos there) and possibly lead (could be in paintwork on barn doors). I know termite reports only last for 3 months. My brother only bought the whole place a couple of years ago - could this mean the other reports could still be standing?

The reports are organised by the seller - not the buyer.  I'm sure you could pay him the costs - but I think he will have to arrange it.  A notaire will not (or should not) accept any of the reports which are older than 3 months.  The lead report is only for lead in paint.

It's actually only the termite report that lasts three months - the others have a longer validity. Although it is usual practice to get all new ones (often the same company handles all reports), then older examples of the longer-lasting surveys like asbestos or lead can be accepted, subject to the agreement of buyer and notaire, if they are fairly recent.

Archived