Complete France Forum

Waranty valid - only if you keep the packaging

Crevette

Back in Decmber I bought some Logitech headphones from www.multe-passe.com which have suddenly stopped working.

No problem, I thought, they will be under guarantee and I can get them repaired.

Going to the SAV (Service Apres Ventes) page I found the following ;

Garanties
Tous les articles techniques bénéficient, auprès du constructeur, d'une garantie contractuelle d'un an minimum

GOOD

En toute hypothèse, vous bénéficiez de la garantie légale des vices cachés (Art.1626 et suivants du Code Civil). A la condition que vous fassiez la preuve du défaut caché, nous devrons légalement en réparer toutes les conséquences (art.1641 et suivants du code civil).

NOT TOO SURE WHAT IT MEANS, BUT SOUNDS GOOD

Eléments à renvoyer

• les pièces avec leurs emballages, câbles, notices, garantie, etc... dans leur état d'origine dans tous les cas.
  • Tous les pieces - OK

• une copie de facture (ou des factures si les pièces ont été achetées séparément)
  • OK

un mot explicatif des problèmes rencontrés avec un rappel concis de la discussion avec la Hotline

OK

• Dans tous les cas, le colis sera refusé si celui-ci n'est pas dans son emballage d'origine.
  • O merde!

The last point is the bit that bugs me. I didn't see the need to keep an empty box which my headphones came in and so threw it away. I think because of this that I cannot get a repair made for the product - even if it under guarantee!

All thoughts/comments appreciated.

Regards,

-Rob-

[quote user="Crevette"]

The last point is the bit that bugs me. I didn't see the need to keep an empty box which my headphones came in and so threw it away. I think because of this that I cannot get a repair made for the product - even if it under guarantee!

All thoughts/comments appreciated.

• Regards,

-Rob-  [/quote]

• I think this is because there might well be shop/store related codes on the box which will prove that you bought said item from them. I found this same potential snag when I had to return a faulty electrical item to a store even though I had the purchase receipt. 

• Sue

• edit: gosh this has printed out most oddly

Could be, Spg, but it sounds like it's a deliberate cop-out - after all, Rob's got the facture as proof of purchase (as you had your receipt).

All I can suggest is trying the "hotline" or whatever, explaining that you have everything except the original emballage so will they accept the goods.

If they say "no", you could try contacting Novatech as there is probably a manufacturer's guarantee in addition to your retailer's guarantee.  They're a well known make so I doubt they would quibble.

Finally there is a free Internet arbitration service if you can't reach an amicable conclusion. Mediateur d'Internet

But what a pain. [:(]

Thanks for the info so far - as I side comment, I mentioned this to some French colleauges who all thought I was strange not to keep the packaging! Apparantly they all keep all the boxes, wrapping, etc. for at least a year after they buy something - even for large items like computers, etc!

Another cultural difference I suppose!

-Rob-

Archived