Complete France Forum

Chemin rural

JandM

Hi all,

This is an access rather than a driving question, but I hope someone can help. There's a chemin rural crossing my land in Lot et Garonne. It's clearly marked on the map of the locality (the serie bleu, I think) but in reality is covered in dense woodland, including trees which I'd guess are well over 50 years old. I've been here for more than four years, but it's only just occurred to me to ask the question about whether or not I've got responsibility to keep the route clear. The notaire didn't mention it when I bought the place, and to my knowledge no one has tried to use the chemin while I've been here. Can I relax, or if a group of hikers appears one day could I be obliged to clear the way for them? I wouldn't mind in principle, but it might cost a bit. Grateful for advice from anyone who knows about these things. James

Hi all,

There's a chemin rural crossing my land in Lot et Garonne. It's clearly marked on the map of the locality (the serie bleu, I think) but in reality is covered in dense woodland, including trees which I'd guess are well over 50 years old. I've been here for more than four years, but it's only just occurred to me to ask the question about whether or not I've got responsibility to keep the route clear. The notaire didn't mention it when I bought the place, and to my knowledge no one has tried to use the chemin while I've been here. Can I relax, or if a group of hikers appears one day could I be obliged to clear the way for them? I wouldn't mind in principle, but it might cost a bit. Grateful for advice from anyone who knows about these things. James

Archived