Complete France Forum

Semi-dependent adult son...

MrCanary

I have a 28-year-old son who lives with us in the UK. He is semi-dependent insomuch that he can lead a relatively normal lifestyle, but restricted in some ways - like not being able to drive.

He has 'currently controlled' epilepsy and this will be a life-long condition. He receives free medication in the UK and would always be entitled to do so.

As he is the main reason we cannot move permanently to France, if we brought him with us, will he be entitled to any help? i.e. the continuation of his free prescriptions, job-seeking etc.

You would have to check with COTOREP and see if he would qualify as being in some way disabled. I have no idea about this at all.

He would have to apply to the caisse de maladie and see if he would be able to get 100% for his epilepsy, I would imagine that he would, but he would still have to apply.

RE jobs. Well not taking into account anything else there is high unemployment especially amoungst the young in France. Many are just finishing or haven't long finished their studies at his age. So whatever he wants to do he will be competing with native french speakers. You haven't said what he does either.

On here there have been people who have got jobs and been taken on to train, so it is not impossible. There are others, who have had a terrible time and not found other than tasks that do not in any reflect their qualifications.

I agree with TU tho if he did move to France getting the 100% should be relatively straight forward once you have registered with a GP here.

However, the chances of getting registered as disabled, even with long-term and debilitating illnesses is much much tougher than it is in the UK - although registered as disabled in the UK, I haven't even bothered to try to get registered here, mainly because I'm mobile and I've been told that mobility is one of the major factors in France when assessing disability.

Archived