Complete France Forum

Self -Move

Whiskers

When we move over, we hope to do it ourselves hiring a 7.5 tonne lorry via the tunnel (with 3 cats). When I look at the Eurotunnel website - it seems to offer information for car passengers only. Freight is seen as freight only - business services. Have I gone bonkers - or can we not use the tunnel for self-drive lorries? What have other people done?
Many thanks

Mimi

Hi Annelise

I'm in the same situation with P & O. I have been in their loyalty scheme for years, but when I asked for a cheap rate for a 7.5 ton truck I was pointed towards the small-print which states "vehicles being used for commercial purposes and vehicles designed for commercial use" go at freight rates, which in P&O's case, from Pompey to Cherbourg, is 295 + vat single trip, whatever time of day or night you sail.

Sorry, but I have reconciled myself to the fact that I will have to pay freight rates. However, this is mollified by the fact that I have calculated the removal will cost me about 1000 (+ 4 days effort), compared to over 3000 using a removal company.

DB

Archived