Complete France Forum

P and O Industrial action

Porth

I would not wish to be accused of war mongering but returned from Cherbourg last Thursday having intending to stay a few more days.  Unfortunately my wife was taken into hospital in the UK and I had just to get back.

The P and O staff at Cherbourg were handing out letters suggesting a number of valid and non-valid courses of action.  I think we (and despite the shareholder value and Footsie 100 arguments and conventional economic arguments) would feel sorry for the families that are going to be hurt by the run-down in services.

However the gossip (and that is all that it is at this moment) suggests that next Tuesday there is going to be industrial action at Cherboug.  I am not sure if this is half-term in either UK or France but surely this is par for the course and we may well see some form of action.

Anyone know anything I`m sailing back from Cherbourg on Tuesday???

• 2 weeks later...
Just got back from UK this morning P&O Portsmouth-Cherbourg. Was told the 19h00 Cherbourg to Portsmouth crossing tonight (Thursday 28/10) is cancelled due to industrial action by French staff. Was told it was a one off but best to check if you are travelling as it could escalate.

Val

Archived