Complete France Forum

Visa, mortgage, internet, General information needed please

the wee p

We are moving to the languedoc area jan 2008, i have been buying all the magazines, looking on French sites etc reseaerching as much as possible and its beginning to confuse me, do you know---

Do we need a visa, uk born and bred married couple?

How do i find out which areas have broadband?

Should we change our birth and marriage certs into French?

What are the costs for shipping? Ive been quoted £2500 from Scotland to South of France?

Would it be cheaper to sell our stuff and buy new in France?

How do i find out about schools/nurseries for our 2 year old son before we move?

Any other information that you could give us would be great, thanks, my email is (deleted by a moderator - use the buttons below to contatc the poster please)

[quote user="peggy"]

We are moving to the languedoc area jan 2008, i have been buying all the magazines, looking on French sites etc reseaerching as much as possible and its beginning to confuse me, do you know---

Do we need a visa, uk born and bred married couple?

No

How do i find out which areas have broadband?

Do a search for Broadband on this site - most sites providing information require that you input a telephone number to see if that line can accept broadband though

Should we change our birth and marriage certs into French?

You can't change your birth certificate - only have it translated.  So far I have not need to have this done.

What are the costs for shipping? Ive been quoted £2500 from Scotland to South of France?

That sounds very cheap, but it depends what you are shipping

Would it be cheaper to sell our stuff and buy new in France?

Almost certainly not, but it deends what you have got.  Old electrical goods may be difficult to get serviced and it may pay to upgrade.  Your TV may or may not work with French terrestrial broadcasts

How do i find out about schools/nurseries for our 2 year old son before we move?

Visit the area and ask.

Any other information that you could give us would be great, thanks, my email is xxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com

Best not to leave your email on the site, there are ways this can be picked up by the spammers of this world.

[/quote]

It looks scary but it really is not.  All the things you have to do here you have had to do at home at one time or another - it's just that it all comes along at once and in an unfamiliar language.  It is not rocket science, which is why so many of us have managed it![;-)]

Oh i know but everyday something else pops into my head, today what happens when we want to replace our old couches do they have special uplifts like our councils, do we have to do it, ive got all these questions and no answers, i guess im just fretting a bit because of the language barrier just now but surely by jan-feb next year we will have learned enough to get us started.

[quote user="peggy"] today what happens when we want to replace our old couches do they have special uplifts like our councils, do we have to do it,.[/quote]

If you are typically French you put an advert in the small ads section of the local paper, or on the 'petites annonces' board in the local supermarket, ask a lot for the stuff you want to get rid of and wait for the queues to form outside your door!

Sue [;-)]

Archived