Complete France Forum

Government tax & Ryanair pricing

SaligoBay

This is a "just wondering" post.  It's so long since I last escaped from France, that I can't remember these details....

Last week, I booked return flights for a neighbour, Ryanair flying Montpellier-Frankfurt.

The Government Tax to leave France was about 60 euros.  The Government Tax to leave Germany was about 30 euros.   A big difference, would it have anything to do with protecting Air France?   My neighbour certainly thinks so, based on the fact that she sees Ryanair advertising special offers etc in Frankfurt airport, but they're not allowed to in Montpellier airport.

And it didn't used to be 15 euros to pay by credit card, did it?   Ah yes, here's another difference - for German bank account holders, there was a paying option that didn't incur a charge.

Et voila, just another one of life's little mysteries.

If I use my Abbey visa delta card there is no charge but if I use an ordinary visa card it is about £5.00 per seat.

I have also realised that If I book single tickets to UK and single back to France or Spain on seperate transactions it usually works out cheaper on the UK to abroad sector than to book as a return.

Archived