Complete France Forum

Amendment to a Eurostar ticket

Danglar

I have erroneously booked on line my return trip from Paris one day earlier than I should have.

I have just realised this but I cannot find any ways of amending the ticket on line. And being this late (22.30hrs) there is no one at the 08705 number to take my call.

Has anyone experienced making a change of date , albeit on a leisure tariff ticket booked online on the French eurostar website (paid in Euro).??

And what will happen if I do not take the return trip with eurostar but have to make my return on a flight instead?

Regards

The english website sets out their fare conditions

http://www.eurostar.com/dctm/jsp/services/detail_fares.jsp?page=fares&id=09001a59800b3af8

If you have booked one of the cheapest tickets its probably worth a phone call early tomorrow to play the stupidity game. Otherwise if you are as unlucky as I am it would probably be cheaper to rebook another returm, otherwise you risk paying the full single fare, plus whatever you have to pay to get back.

Others will probably say that they get away with it every other week

[quote]The english website sets out their fare conditions http://www.eurostar.com/dctm/jsp/services/detail_fares.jsp?page=fares&id=09001a59800b3af8 If you have booked one of the cheapest tickets its ...[/quote]

I am lost here, BJSLIV.

Cheaper to book another return?

Are you saying it would be cheaper to discard this ticket and buy another return for the correct dates ? Or else, if I decide to use the outward leg and miss the return I would be charged for the full single fare !!?

This would be disgraceful and discouraging for future custom. Even the ferry operators allow for amendments (I did two change of dates on a cheap 24hrs xings the other month and only paid a small amendment fee).

I would have thought Eurostar would allow for changes on these terms: pay an amendment fee and if the seat is still available, go ahead.

Danglar, sadly some travel companies, and most certainly airlines (the big ones who I'm starting to believe don't deserve our custom) won't amend on their cheapest tickets.

And I agree, if the stupidity thing doesn't work, start again a single would probably more expensive.

As I said Eurostar spell it out, if you want to change a ticket you pay a higher price, if you know exactly when you will travel they offer specially low fares which cannot be changed. Thats why I said if you have one of the cheapest tickets with no changes allowed if you rang up early today and explained that it was a genuine mistake they might exceptionally change it for you. Otherwise they have the technology to charge you the equivalent of the single fare that you have used. They have to threaten to do this otherwise nobody would ever pay the full fare.

Eurostar still operate an old-fashioned pricing model which charges more for flexibility and duration. Budget airlines, and Speedferries, have moved towards a model that penalises late booking but is independent of duration.

Either way the aim is to maximise their revenues.

Archived