Complete France Forum

UK Without Passport?

Mersons

Has anyone travelled back to the UK using their Carte de Sejour instead of a passport?  Is a passport actually required between France and the UK?  We've been meaning to renew our passports since November but you know how it is.  The form and photos are still lying on the table waiting to be completed and sent.  "Must get that done." we keep saying.  Yes, we must, but we haven't, yet, and now there may be a bit of a family emergency requiring us to go very soon, like in a couple of days maybe.  I know I can phone the British Embassy and check but I just wondered if anyone in the forum has done it. 

Sheila 

No, I don't think you can. You certainly can using an French ID card, but the CdS does not have the same "status". I can only suggest that, in an emergency, you go along with your expired passport & your CdS & try your luck. Getting on the plane/boat is going to be the most difficult bit...

Otherwise, a trip to Paris is called for....

Once when I forgot my passport I managed to get into the UK with just a driving licenses, without even a photo, but as said above the biggest difficulty was getting on the plane - customes at heathrow was the easiest part ! In theory a Cds not valid for entry into the UK. Passports can be renewed pretty quickly through the Paris Consular and if you are really pressed they will sometimes do it while you wait - but you would need to arrange this before hand.

regs

Richard

The problem will certainly be with the carrier whether it is is by Boat or Plane as they are responsible for checking their passengers documents are in order and comply with entry regulations. If they allow travel on unacceptable papers and one is not allowed entry to the country, they have to pay for the costs of returning the person to the place of departure.

Baz

A French carte d'identité is proof of nationality, whereas the carte de séjour isn't.  Obviously, because the French can't say whether or not you are British, they can just accept that, given the info you give them, you are.  Whereas they do have the right to say who is French and who isn't.  I did ask on Eurostar once, they said no.  I wonder whether, when the ID cards are brought in in Britain it will be possible to use them.  Also worth noting that the French can only use their carte d'identité to get into certain countries.  People are always going to have the story "I got into the country with just a souvenir photo of me with the queen," but I wouldn't take the risk

Jane

Thanks for the advice so far.  I've just filled in the forms and I think a phone call to the British Embassy is our next step, to see if they can help by renewing our passports quickly.  By what you've all said, there is definitely an element of doubt about whether we would be allowed to travel back.  No point in risking being turned away at the port.  This is one of those annoying occasions where we could kick ourselves for being lazy about getting it done.  We had no intention of going to the UK this year and didn't think there was any hurry.  Sod's law!

Sheila

Pre EU days I travelled from London to Frankfurt using a Company ID Crd as I had left my passport at home.  All I had to do is sign a BA form stating that I would accept responsibility and pay the fare if I was refused entry at Frankfurt.

Ryanair will not even let you fly in the UK without a passport.  They would not accept a Police Warrant card from a friend when travelling Stanstead to Glasgow.  so the driving force is the carrier.  On the Ferries and Channel tunnel they seem to be the only ones asking to see them.

Ian,

I too remember the good old days when you could travel across Europe without a passport all you needed was a good sob story and a friendly carrier. Many times we used to travel across the channel on a ferry without anybody ever checking your ID.

The Herald of Free Enterprise , heavy fines on Airlines, 9/11, last year's intoduction of the International Ship and Port Security Code (any body else noticed the extra security lately) plus the UK paranaoia with "lillegal" immigration have all led to stricter procedures such that it is almost impossible to get in or out of the UK now without a valid passport.

Ironically the introduction of the Shengen treaty that allows freer movement for most European citizens has made it more difficult for those holding UK passports.

hagar

Oh, the good old days..........

Well, it looks like the panic's over for the moment.  My Mum had taken ill and I thought she would maybe need us to go back to look after her.  Thankfully, the medicine the doctor gave her is working and she's recovering well.  I spoke to her on the phone today and she's out of bed and feeling much better.  Tomorrow, as soon as we get them countersigned, the passport forms are going in the post.  Hopefully she won't be ill again but at least we'll be in a position to go if she is.  Thanks again everyone.

Sheila   

Archived