Complete France Forum

payment in euros or pounds

moon

We are in the process of selling a plot of land in the S.west of France. We live in Uk

We have a French bank acc.

The purchaser can pay in £ or Euros. Which would be the best for us finacialy? Im pretty hopeless about finacial stuff!  [8-)]

Thanks

I think, and I stress that, that your Notaire will be the decider of this question. There could be some liability to capital gains tax since you appear to be UK resident so that in itself will bring in a complication.

I would ask the Notaire first before you go making any arrangements with the purchaser.

[quote user="moon"]

We are in the process of selling a plot of land in the S.west of France. We live in Uk

The purchaser can pay in £ or Euros. Which would be the best for us finacialy? Im pretty hopeless about finacial stuff!  [8-)]

Thanks

[/quote]

Where do you intend spending the money, Euroland or that insignificant little island off the W coast of Europe ? In an ideal world match currency of income against currency of expenditure.

John

not

[quote user="Iceni"][quote user="moon"]

Thanks

[/quote]

Where do you intend spending the money, Euroland or that insignificant little island off the W coast of Europe ? In an ideal world match currency of income against currency of expenditure.

John

not

[/quote]

John,

If, as I believe, you consider the UK to be an insignificant little island may I suggest your poster name of Iceni is somewhat inappropriate.

I am using a French solicitor who now lives in the UK for our purchase and she has told me to pay in Euros as it has to go through the notaires account. She said if we didn't do it that way there could be potential title issues in the future and if any charges were made against the property between signing of the acte and it being registered that the notaire would be liable if the payment had gone through their account.

I would imagine that if it's just a bit of land in France the value would be comparatively small compared with a house. In that case euro is the way to go.

It is possible to conduct transactions in sterling, but it is a fairly complex process and a lot of French notaires are not prepared to consider it. Because you have to get into a combination of English and French systems, you need two English solicitors as well as the notaire, so legal costs can easily outweigh any possible exchange rate savings, making it only feasible in practical terms for more expensive properties. It gets even more complicated if mortgages etc are involved. If you want to know more then www.sykesanderson.com has the details.

[quote user="powerdesal"]

John,

If, as I believe, you consider the UK to be an insignificant little island may I suggest your poster name of Iceni is somewhat inappropriate.
[/quote]

Not at all, when Iceni thrashed the Italians at Colchester the island WAS significant and I hanker for those days but Essex and England went downhill soon after.

John

not

Archived