Complete France Forum

Dinard to UK

I am searching for alternatives to get from Northwest France to Southampton by air (getting fed up with the drive to Le Havre for P&O and BF from Cherbourg or Caen are soooooooo expensive!). Flybe are starting a service from Rennes to S'ton in May but I wondered if we could go from Dinard via Jersey/Guersey. Anyone any ideas which airlines serve this route?

thanks

PS We are trying Condor Ferries from St Malo via the Channel Islands, to Poole, in the summer. Got to take the car as daughter number 2 is getting married and we have been charged with buying the booze. Bad move cause we keep sampling it!!!! I can see us having to buy another car load before we go!!

As someone who lives on Jersey I would like to lay to rest the myth perpetuated by RussetHouse, that flights in the Channel Islands are continually disrupted by fog.

The official met statistics show that flying at Jersey airport is actually more disrupted by gale force cross winds, than fog.

In an average year there are less than seven days disrupted by fog, and that is usually in early Spring, when you have a combination of warming air and cold seas.

I fly from Jersey to London at least twice a month, and the last time I had a flight cancelled because of the weather in Jersey, was over ten years ago.

RussetHouse, maybe you have just been unlucky.

Yes, you are right Sprogster - I was unlucky I did a summer season of 5 months duration and heard that b****y fog horn going on too many days to remember Also as I worked in Car hire at the airport I know just how many people were either stranded at the Airport or late picking up their car ( goody, I got overtime )

I have local friends who come from the Islands,(Guernsey) and visit a couple of times a year, they certainly don't consider it to be terribly unusual to be delayed either.

I am certainly not the only person to have posted this.

That is my experience, yours may have been different.

I'm a 'fly direct' girl myself - can't be doing with all that potential for hassle, whether its fog or luggage going astray, in the middle!

Archived