Complete France Forum

......now that speedferries are taking an April break

Bannon

Now that Speedferries are taking most of April off, does anyone know who the next cheapest operater is for a weeks return travel with car plus trailer to the UK in mid April? Trawling through and looking at the different prices is really a pain and confusing to boot - especialy if one of you guys out there has already had a result.  Cheers.

Currently P&O are offering a £60 return fare with unrestricted length of stay available for use throughout 2005 on a choice of 5 crossings a day. The offer must be booked by 11 April and is available for a car and upto 9 passengers.  I have no connections with the company except taking advantage of this offer which is their best for many years. See below for details.

http://www.poferries.com/portal/page?_pageid=1613,331000&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Baz

The Fare wars continue Dover - Calais, with Seafrance now offering unlimited return fares of £50 return for the whole of 2005 provided bookings are made by 28 April, which are also amendable for a £10 fee. Eurotunnel who are losing money hand over fist are currently not reducing fares below their £98 restricted returns, I just wonder how long they can hang on before reducing their fares.

The good news also for the long sea crossings is that the Dover-Calais fares wars is rubbing off on them with both P&O and Condor offering special fares for a limited time. It will be interesting to see Brittany Ferries response.

Checking back on my Dover to Calais fares it would appear that they are lower today than over the last 10-15 years, with many thanks to the efforts of Speedferries. The only problem I can foresee in the coming months is if Speedferries capacity is exhausted and without any announcement about their second boat the war for this year may cease in the next few weeks and  the other companies will almost certainly once again raise their fares.

Baz

I've booked mine this year through P&O, and done it by phone. Their phone operators are human, and enjoy, (or seem to enjoy) a chat. If you then "push" them for ever cheaper fares, you'll be surprised what they can find!

Alcazar

Archived