Complete France Forum

Driving Licences

ronadam

This is our 4th year living in France, and about 2 years ago I aquired a French driving licence (very easy) because of approaching 70th birthday.Our last trip to UK in the car was in Aug.2004. Since then I've passed 70. Whilst I can still legally drive in France (and most of EEC?) without the need for a medical, my French licence now appears to exclude the UK. How can I now legally drive in the UK (assuming I ever want to pay even a fleeting visit!!!!!)?

I'm glad you posted this because it backs up what I said before that a brit we know and who has lived here for 20+ years changed to a french licence just before his 70th birthday and he also had this UK exclusion point on it as well.It dosn't worry him because he never goes to the UK. I think you should contact the local prefecture and find out how you stand about the UK as it could be a clerical error.

• 3 weeks later...
Very disappointed with lack of replies to my query. Can't believe I'm the only 'over-70' with a French licence (plus GB70 added) who may want to drive on a visit to the UK. The query was raised in the March edition of French News this week, but the answer was most unconvincing - the thought of no insurance cover is alarming. Someone please come up with real facts.

I see that from 2005 France is planning to come into line with the rest of Europe so there will be regular Health Checks for older drivers. However as it was considered to be discrimination against a particular age group they are also bringing in checks for younger drivers at the same time.

Rythme de renouvellement du certificat

Proposition actuelle :

• tous les 10 ans pour les moins de 70 ans,
  • tous les 5 ans entre 70 et 75 ans,
  • au-delà, tous les ans.

• 1 month later...
    The April issue of French Times seems to provide the simple answer to my original query. The 70 of '70GB' on my French Permis de Conduire is a driving licence information code indicating that the French licence has been issued as a replacement for that from another country (in this case GB).

Archived