Complete France Forum

Young driver in France.

Alcazar

My eldest wants to drive down to see us for his holiday this year. He will be 19 and 2 months when he does so, and has passed his test LAST April.

Does anyone know if he will need to put one of those large "A"s on his car before entering France?

Alcazar

Alcazar the large A is for the first three years' probabtion driver in France (my daughter still has just under two years to go before she sheds her A). Do they have three or less probation years in the UK now for newly qualified drivers?It didn't exist when we left,you passed your test and that was it,fully qualified driver. If not and your son has an english vehicle with all english insurance and papers,surely he is not governed by the french laws as he did not take his test here.His insurance company would surely know.

No probationary period as such, although new rules now state that drivers of less than two years experience who get 6 or more, points during that period, lose their license and must retake their test! ( That's just two speeding fines. )

I'll contact his insurers for him.

Alcazar

Same as here with the six points in the probation time then. I think its a good idea having this three year probation period because the insurance is very high anyway in the first year and it does make the youngsters especially those lucky enough to have their own cars respect the law more and pay attention to their driving as they have more now than ever to lose and have to start from scratch again and the cost....!!!!

I am three months into my probation period. My license is marked with a restriction until the three years is up, I would guess that if that restriction isn't there (i.e. foreign licence), he is free to do without the red A.

>I think its a good idea having this three year probation period because the insurance is very high anyway in the first year

Hmmm, not so sure Val, not for three years anyway. The speed limits for young drivers are lower in most cases (speed > 80kms/s) but the rules for figuring out when and what are not completely straightforward, it depends on the road and on the weather conditions etc. It is very difficult seeing a 90 sign and then thinking, well, that means 80 to me, for three whole years I am not sure I can remember!

Also the lower speed limits mean you cannot keep up with the traffic and so everyone overtakes you, overtaking being the single most dangerous maneovre.

Even when the speed limit is the same the red A seems like a red rag to a bull in some cases and people will do anything to get past you, regardless of safety etc!

Even when the speed limit is the same the red A seems like a red rag to a bull in some cases and people will do anything to get past you, regardless of safety etc!

Ha! try towing a large trailer or a caravan with a GB plate on the back. Not only do they do owt to pass you, but they nip out in front of you at junctions, roundabouts etc.

They'll do anything NOT to be behind you.

Alcazar

Archived