Complete France Forum

Best road route to Montpellier

We are travelling down to work on our new house nr Pezenas(34) in a couple of weeks (got the keys on Friday after a 2 and a half year wait - so exciting!:w00t. For the first time we are going by car. On Maporama it gives you 2 routes - one via Dijon and one via Paris and Clermont Ferrand. Mileage and time seems about the same. Has anybody done this trip - if so which would you recommend? Paris worries me a bit ::but presumably we go round it?

Very grateful for any views.

Jane and Alan

I travel to Perpignan 5/6 times per year and now always use as much Autoroute as possible, Reims, Dijon, Lyon, Montpellier.

I take the A46 by-pass round Lyon as if you try to go straight through at the wrong time it can take hours.

Cost approx. €80.00 each way.

If you are going to travel to Pezénas by road very often I would advise getting a Télépéage badge to avoid the queues at the toll booths.

Hi

The A75 is a good route, except for one section not finished near Montpellier and having to negotiate Paris.

The Francilienne is a Paris by pass than goes from near CDG to near Orleans.

It is further, but quicker than the peripherique at busy times.

Peter

We used to camp just up the road from Pezenas for some years, near Clermont L'Herault. The A75 wasn't completely finished, but we used it as far as we could.

We also bypassed Paris, as follows:

Calais, leave on A26, continue to St Quentin, junct 11

Turn onto D1,

Soissons,

Chateau Thierry,

Momtmirial,

Sezanne,

Anglure,

TROYES, ring road, turn onto N77,

Auxerre,

Clamecy,

Nevers, ring road, turn onto N7,

Moulins, ring road, turn onto N9,

St Pourcain,

Gannat,

Riom, ring road, join A71 at junct 13, toll for about 10 miles,

Bypass Clermont ferrand on A71, it becomes A75, free.

Continue on A75, leaving it at it's end where it joins the N9 at

PEZENAS.

You'll have to pay for the bridge at Millau but what a view. The rest: toll on A26 to St Quentin, small toll north of Clermont F., the rest free.

We used to do this with a caravan in tow, and it took two days.

Don't worry about the non-motorway section, the roads are good, straight easy to follow and contain a few 110 stretches.

Regards, Alcazar

Brilliant! Thank you all for your ideas - just got to choose one now. Incidentally booked a ferry with P&O tonight in France for three weeks but £60.00 return. Specific sailings I know but we had to keep going back to check the price. Presumably this is the speedferries influence?

Jane and Alan

[quote]We are travelling down to work on our new house nr Pezenas(34) in a couple of weeks (got the keys on Friday after a 2 and a half year wait - so exciting!:w00t . For the first time we are going by car....[/quote]

Janet

Cannot recommend other than A26, A1 (E15) to Bobigny (its just after CDG airport, then keep following signs for Bordeaux(E15) then A10, A71 and then A75 towards Clermond Ferrand and Millau, after C-F you pass through the volcano area and the scenery is breathtaking, so keep your eyes on the road.

Be careful using maporama maps in France, for local cross country journeys we have found that it does not know its rights from its lefts and from Cahors to Nimes (via Albi)  the directions map would have sent us in totally the wrong direction on many minor roads, so I now use   www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

I have found it a lot better and clearer than maporama and it also tells you where the speed cameras are, this is obviously only for the French, Germans and Dutch as no considerate English driver would ever break the speed limit.  mind you its a good job that most Autoroutes are only two lane, it stops Les Anglais sitting in the middle one all the way to Montpelier

Archived