Complete France Forum

language(how hard it is to learn another language!)

Hello,

I am planning to go to Paris to visit the Lourvre museum, enjoy great food and shopping, and walk around to see many modern artistic features which are not provided in my country. However, I have some worry about language. In France, I also would like to be more communicative with French people but do not speak French at all (In fact, English is my second language). I am trying to memorize some easy phrases required at least in France such as “bonjour” and if I need to convey something or communicate with French people, I intend to deal with it only using English because of the lack of the knowledge of French.

I have never been to Europe, so I have no idea how much English is useable in Paris. Is it better at least for me to be able to have conversation in French without English or is it fine to be dependent on using English in Paris? The reason I am asking this question is that I have heard French people sometimes feel uncomfortable when they are spoken to in English.

Any comments would be appreciated.     

I do not think you will have any problem at all in Paris. There must be millions of visitors to the city who do not have a word of the language. I think you will find that English is widely spoken at all the major tourist spots and most signs will be at least in French and English and often in other languages as well. Restaurant menus in tourist areas will often be in English and waiters will be able to speak it also. Shop assistants will generally be able to muster sufficient English to help you. I think Parisians in the tourist trade are so used to speaking English they do not usually have the reluctance to speak it that you may have heard about.

Arm yourself with a guide book and maps of the streets and Metro. The centre of Paris where most of the sights are is quite small and it is very easy to walk around or hop on the Metro (just one price for each journey).

Aside from the language behave as any prudent tourist does and do not carry valuables with you. I do not want to imply that Paris is full of crime but it is sensible to keep you wallet hidden and your bag firmly attached to your back or shoulder. I was once approached by a small group of people whose object was to distract me while one made off with my handbag. Fortunately they did not succeed.

Have a great trip!

Liz (29)

Fully agree with everything Liz says.  Although you'll manage fine without any French, why not learn a few phrases just for a fun and throw them in, they'll be much appreciated and no one will mind if you make a mistake.  A good guide book is a must with an accompanying map.  Having lived in the city centre for many years I'm afraid to say crime is more rife than we may like to think.  Major trouble spots are the Metro, especially Metro stations.  Most in the centre on Line 1, places like Chatelet and Concorde are particularly bad.  Not easy, I realise, but try to blend in, don't look like a tourist as they tend to be targets.  Are you going on your own?  The city centre's OK ish in most areas for women on their own but I never feel too easy around Place St Michel and even some of the streets around the Marais late at night.  Enjoy yourself, it's the best city on earth.  M

Thank you for your feedback..

I feel at ease that language problems seem not to be there at all if I speak English although I will try to know some basic French as you suggested for fun.

I have heard that there are many crimes targeting travelers in Paris but I did not know the handiwork of the thieves. It was fortunate that you did not lose any of your property when you came across the conduct. Well, I feel to be more cautious of protection from it, according to your personal experience. I will have a great trip in Paris. Thanks guys!

Archived