Complete France Forum

Travelling from Geneva

I'm flying out of Geneva for the first time back to the UK. Has anybody been to Geneva airport before? I am travelling to the airport by train and I am wondering how much time I need to allow to get from the train to my check in. Also can anybody confirm whether duty free works travelling in and out of Switzerland by air? It doesn't seem to by train.

Thanks

Sorry cannot help you on travel from Geneva airport. But regarding duty free allowances they apply between the UK and Switzerland, however, you must remember that are far lower than from an EU country. Also if you are purchasing anything in France and bringing it back via Switzerland make sure you have all the receipts otherwise you may be charged duty.

Baz

If I can, I always fly from Geneva and have done for years.

I hate it since they have changed Satolas into St Exupery and made it into the worst airport I have travelled from. I really do hate it too, not just dislike.  A close second in the bad stakes is Roissy.

Now I love Geneva Airport, easy access by road or rail. At the central station you just swop trains to the aport ones which are regular between these stations and it is only about 10 minutes between these stations too.  Also you can buy your ticket in France directly to Geneva Airport, saves buying a ticket when you get to Geneva.

The railway station is at the airport and just next to the terminal a few minutes walk that is all. Everything is clearly marked and you can get duty free in the shops in the departure area.  The thing is that I have never found the duty free that much cheaper really than buying in France and paying the tax. But remember you then fall into the duty thing and are only allowed a litre of strong alcohol and say 200 cigarettes etc, so you can't take as much as you want as you could cop for the duty when you get to the UK.

There is a good selection of swiss chocolate at the airport too. Although it is far cheaper in Geneva, I do buy my treats when I am there, as there are several things we are very fond of.

Just a thought, I have only ever done this on a morning and there have always been regular trains. So you had better check on train times in case there aren't so many at the time you want to travel, between the station and airport. Leave at least 20 minutes to transfer as you have to go through passport control at the station too.

PS   There is a regular bus from the station to the airport too.

Archived