Complete France Forum

Caravan site convenient for Tunnel?

There's a site at Wacquinghen, about 10 miles south via the A16, they do tourers as well as long stay, clean, quiet and nice. I've used it several times, though not in the last two years. It's only about a mile from J4.

There USED to be a site at Guines, not sure if it's still available.

Alcazar 

Site at Guines is a Castel's site, La Bien-Assise. From Alan Rogers:

A mature and well developed site, the history of La Bien-Assise goes back to the 1500s. The château, farm and mill now form the focal point for this popular campsite which is under new ownership. The farm buildings house the facilities and pool complex, with the entrance to a more formal and excellent restaurant, ‘La Ferme Gourmande’ in the mellow farmyard opposite the dovecote. There are 220 grass pitches mainly set among mature trees with others on a newer field. Connected by gravel roads and of a good size (up to 300 sq.m), shrubs and bushes divide most of the pitches. The site’s position, 15 minutes from Calais, the Channel Tunnel exit 6 km. and 20 minutes from Boulogne, make it a good stopping point en-route north or south, but it is well worth a longer stay. Reception opens for long hours to meet the needs of those crossing the Channel and the site can have heavy usage at times (when maintenance can be variable). Used by tour operators (50 pitches).

Our view, busy during height of season, when we used it we pre booked. Given my experience on the number of pitches available for tourers, I would advice not to turn up on spec. Clean site, bread etc available in the morning. Snack bar and restuarant also. Supermarket in village 5mins away. Used by tour operators. If in the field (not divided by shrubs / bushes), road noise noticeable from farm track during the night.

Other than that, depending on where you are arriving from Alan Rogers has three other sites for the area or look in the Michelin Green book.

Andy

Archived