Complete France Forum

Guns & DTI Export Licences & Customs?? Help!

Hi,

My wife & I are about to take the 3 No. shotguns & 1 No. .22 Rifle(FAC) to our permanent home in Dept 86.  We both have full European weapons permits applicable to these guns, along with our Sussex Police certificates - that we will surrender once the guns are safe in our new home.

My question is - has anybody actually applied for, received and used, let alone been asked to use the (UK) DTI (Dept' Trade & Industry) licences that the UK Police force say we need to apply for?

I cannot imagine the French Customs asking for them, let alone knowing what they are intended for.

Has anybody had any recent experience of taking their guns for permanent export across the Channel via Brittany Ferries for example?

I am concerned in potentially being delayed in Caen, as we have two infants and two spaniels who all have a six hour drive ahead of them, before I attempt to delve in to unforseen French Customs bureacracy!

Is it easy, will we be dealyed, what are the pitfalls we will face, and do we need those blessed DTI export licences?

Assurances required please - this scenario is causing me more worry than the complete permanent move.

Many thanks, and please no pious threads on the ethics of shooting - we own/live on a working farm and target shoot also.

many thanks,

Mark & Kay

Archived