Complete France Forum

Heathrow to Portsmouth advice needed

Hi

I am booked to travel to France on Monday.  I am flying down to Heathrow to be collected by family and then all of us on to Dover.  We are on an extremely tight schedule and I need to have a plan in place should there be problems with my flights etc.  Basically the family will have to carry on without me to Dover and I will have to make my own way to Portsmouth from Heathrow to catch the overnight ferry to Caen.  Does anyone know of the easiest way that I could do this?  Train, bus etc, bearing in mind that I will be on my own.  Have not checked with Brittany Ferries yet but am I ok to assume that there would be room for extra 'foot' passengers?

many thanks

Michelle

Given the current situation on the London Underground, you will find it difficult to get from Heathrow to Waterloo (for Portsmouth) on the Tube.  Best way but more expensive, unless the Piccadilly Line opens beyond Hyde Park Corner by Monday, which is very unlikely, would be to get the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then change to the Bakerloo line direct to Waterloo where you can get a train to Portsmouth Harbour.

There are indeed some direct coach services between Heathrow and Portsmouth. I think there is a National Express desk in one of the Heathrow terminals (probably the one nearest the bus station) where you could get a ticket. It may also be possible to get the ticket on board, I think you can do this when travelling from Portsmouth ferry port.

Otherwise, as Jim suggested, bus from Heathrow to Woking station, train to Portsmouth and taxi to ferry port (taxi fare is about a fiver I think). Not so easy, but a much more frequent service.

I've never had any problem with last minute bookings with BF, either on foot or with a vehicle. I'd imagine it will only be difficult at the height of the season or on bank holiday weekends. You may not get a cabin, or even a reclining seat (though not having the latter is no great loss in my opinion)

http://www.transportdirect.info/TransportDirect/en/

This much derided travel planner my give you some ideas, depending on the time of day you would be arriving . It seems to take between 2 and three hours.

On the other hand unless the family have other reasons, or a very restrictive ticket that doesn't allow changes, unless you are going to be massively late wouldn't it be easier for them to miss their booked ferry, and blame traffic delays? The rail part alone is going to cost at least £15, plus buses/taxis, and the ferry ticket.,........

Archived