Complete France Forum

Fonciere/D'habitation

Malnoueans

We have owned a pair of rural cottages in France for nearly four years. We bought to renovate as maisons secondaires and are still at it. We have been paying tax foncieres on both, even tho one is still so delapidated that no-one in their right mind would inhabite it - so it is uninhabited and uninhabitable. The other one is taking shape now and we are able to stay here when we visit - this time for the whole of the Summer - yippee!

We have never had a taxe d'habitation request, although I have read the threads on forum that indicate that as we have no taxable income in France that is perhaps not surprising.

Several queries then:

1. My husband is now 60. Does that exempt us from taxe d'habitation, even tho I am the legal owner of the property?

2. Is there are any exemption from taxe fonciere for a non inhabited/un-inhabitable property. Also presumably that would not attract d'habitation anyway?

Please does anyone have any answers, or know where I can find out definitively?

Thanks.

If you are using the second house, and it was furnished on the 1st January then you are liable to the Taxe D'habitation. As it is not your main residence there can be no reduction  on the grounds of either age or income. A furnished  maison secondaire is always liable to full rate Taxe d'habitation.

As for the Fonciere it is a land ownership tax, and is broadly based on the value of the property. A ruin will attract most of its value from the land. Unless you are in a major conurbation I don't think the Fonciere should be too onerous!

Thankyou BJSLIV, that is very clear.

We part furnished Maison 'A' earlier this year - a bed, a chest of drawers, swiftly followed by a table and chairs. We are adding to the furnishings bit by bit now. Maison B is several years away from being furnished - if ever at this rate! Does that mean that for Maison 'A' we are liable for taxe d'habitation from next Jan 1?

Taxe Fonciere is not that onerous as you say - as we are in a tiny hamlet it can hardly be classed as a major conurbation. :-)  We did just wonder if we could get some reduction, but if not then it won't break the bank!

Thanks again for your swift and knowledgeable response.

Archived