Complete France Forum

Plymouth/Roscoff

Bernice

I see from Brittany Ferries latest sailing schedule brochure that from the 3rd January until 5th March  2006 there is only one sailing a week.   When I queried this with BF they said that it is because of the bad weather in the winter ......!

Bernice

Complete and utter crap rubbish. I live where I can look across and see the ferries depart Roscoff and although we do get bad gales and storms, they never cancel sailings. Neighbours here went over in a force 11 about four years back and actually arrived twohours early in Plymouth sound because they got a move on. Brittany Ferries have a reputation here for never cancelling sailings due to bad weather and were in fact the only ferry to sail from St.Malo in the hurricane of 1987 as we knew someone on that crossing who was a lorry driver at the time. They couldn't land in the UK but they made it across. Traditionally January - March is the time when the ferries go infor a service and cleanup. This winter is the first time for a few years up this end,when the service has been cut to the bone like it used to be when we first came here and the only way to get to the other side was St.Malo or Caen. I can asure you the weather is no worse here than further up the channel in the winter and can actually be a lot warmer due to the gulf stream. I trust nothing this company says or does.

Ouch!That was harsh Val 2. I remember wanting to sail Plymouth /Roscoff early this year and there were no sailings at all for a while.We did get a crossing slightly later in the year (maybe March? Not sure) but the ship couldn't dock at Roscoff because the weather was too bad- it didn't seem that bad to us - it was the bigger ship.We had a couple of hours delay then she berthed OK

[quote]Complete and utter crap rubbish. I live where I can look across and see the ferries depart Roscoff and although we do get bad gales and storms, they never cancel sailings. Neighbours here went over in...[/quote]

Val, I agree with you completely!  We have crossed this route many times in the winter no problems although sometimes it has been a bit "lumpy".  As you say they used to stop the sailings for a couple of weeks to service and refit but once a week for 2 months is ridiculous. 

The crossing from Poole to Cherbourg have also been cut, no crossings on that route from 11th November 05 until 23rd January 06.

Bernice

[quote]I see from Brittany Ferries latest sailing schedule brochure that from the 3rd January until 5th March 2006 there is only one sailing a week. When I queried this with BF they said that it is becaus...[/quote]

Yet again Brittany Ferries have got us by the short and Curlies! We are unable to go to our place at Christmas because we cannot return back into Plymouth until after the kids have gone back to school.

Another Piece of Superb marketing by Brittany Ferries.

PS Do they ever read these messages - I hope so.

Archived