Complete France Forum

LD Lines

Ty Korrigan

Now I am not pulling any-ones plonker here but I have just tried to book by internet a return for me and my van in April for 5 days and got the price of 70euros and 50euros for a car!

However when my shaking hands tried to pay they where 'unable to process payment at this time'....I wonder what was going on...?

Yes, we have also noticed that LD seem to have put some extremely cheap prices on. My mother and a friend are coming over in April for 6 days with a car; they have booked the whole thing including a cabin on the outbound leg for £100. Not as cheap as the prices you quote, but pretty reasonable, and certainly a lot less than they were previously charging.

I can see two possible reasons why LD might be doing this now:

(1) They've realised they're not getting enough passengers and are reducing their prices as a knee-jerk reaction.

(2) A more likely scenario.....LD have done no real marketing of their service yet, and have been concentrating on getting the freight side up and running. We were down at the port the other day taking a friend back to the ferry, and there certainly was a good amount of freight being loaded on. Now that spring is coming (allegedly! - we had snow yesterday), they've decided it's time to be more proactive about building up the passenger side, hence the much more competitive prices. I wouldn't be surprised if they start doing some more active marketing now.

Living just outside Le Havre, we were relieved when LD took the route on, and are keeping a close eye on developments. My hope is that they will at the very least keep running it with reasonable prices, and preferably that they will put a second ship on, at least during peak season. It's a pain having to do the overnight crossing from the UK, and equally inconvenient arriving in Portsmouth at 10pm if you then have 2-3 hours drive, as we do.

Rob

Hi

We have just booked with LDlines for the end of June for a return crossing for only £123 (2 people + car).  Last year with B.F's it cost us £280.  Albeit a slightly different route but not £157's worth difference !!

Tessden

Archived