Complete France Forum

Damage to property by artisan...

barneysfriends

can anyone give some advice about the following....

we have had some work done in our house by a siret registered artisan and in the process have suffered some damage in the home, caused thro carelessness which we are not happy about. We havent yet paid the bill, and have been told to approach the artisans insurance company to claim for repairs. It is, apparantly, our responsibility to do this and to obtain devis for the work. Should we settle the bill, or hang on until we have had the insurance claim sorted? We cant help thinking that once the bill is paid the co-operation of the policy holder may dwindle. What is the legal position?

The normal course is to get in an "expert" to do a written study of the problem to be presented to the insurers of the artisan. When I say expert I mean a surveyor type from a Cabinet d'Expert not another builder. Do not pay the bill at the moment as this could go to the tribunal eventually. I'm afraid its going to cost you but the insurers will insist on proper channels before they take responsibility. If you go to the local mairie and ask them, they may have a list of experts in your location in the same way as they have lists of huissiers and conseillers etc. You mention the Devis, this is signed and accepted by you before any work commences, not afterwards as your posting suggests and is a legally binding contract when signed.

• 3 months later...
this one rumbles on. We paid the bill minus 20%. His insurance wont pay. Our insurance doesnt cover us for damage by "professional" third party. We are threatened with court proceedings. The amount is small. 600 euros, but is half of the estimated cost of putting the floors back to rights. Anyone had this happen to them?

Archived