Complete France Forum

BF - cheapest way? France/England or vice versa

alnmike

Do any of you knowing types have any thoughts on whether it's cheaper

to buy a ticket, return from France to England? (Rather than

England/France) We discovered Disneyland Paris was much cheaper to buy

in France, and wondered whether it would pay to get a single from

England, and then buy French returns? Thanks

It's very tempting to say that the cheapest way to travel by Brittany Ferries is to book with LD Lines or Transmanche - after all, the words 'cheap' and 'Brittany Ferries' are seldom seen in the same sentence.

But as a very regular traveller on BF I can tell you that there is virtually never any difference in the standard fares (maybe a small rounding up and rounding down due to pound/euro conversion). It's worth looking at the BF France website, or picking up brochures on the boats or at the ports, in case there are special offers. But in reality few of the France special offers are of much use. I did use a French 3-day return once last year, but in general I find I am much better off belonging to the BF discount club and booking all the travel via the British end.

I don't use BF anymore 'cos their fares are not competitive.  Sad testimony to the draconian employment laws that make it very difficult for a french company to 'lean' their staff in order to become a real player.  Their bottom line on the company accounts bears this out - not a huge profit for so much investment.

Archived