Complete France Forum

Which crossing to use with a 7.5 ton van

Shelly

The trouble is, most ferry companies automatically assume a large van is carrying commercial freight, and want to charge accordingly.

Norfolk Lines, LD Lines and Transmanche are all carriers which take both passengers and freight so will be able to cope. However, unless you call them and ask you won't know whether they are prepared, or able, to treat you as a private vehicle and offer cheap rates. Condor Ferries is also worth a try, they mostly operate fast car-only ferries which would not be able to take your van, but they do have a conventional ferry primarily for freight which does good deals for caravan owners between Portsmouth and Cherbourg - it is a rather occasional service though.

Otherwise, it is well worth calling the much-maligned Brittany Ferries. Although their name seldom appears in the same paragraph as the word 'cheapest' they are geared up to carrying vans used privately, including hired vans, so may be able to offer you a better deal than some others.

Hi, we used BF but way back in 2001, deal was good and we paid freight prices which included cabin, food, truckers lounge etc, never been treated better. It's worth getting in touch but ask for a freight price. Doing it yourself is exhausting especially if it's a hire lorry and you need to turn around quickly to return. That's why we chose BF - portsmouth to st malo as the driving time was considerably less for us when in France .. depends where you've got to get to. Plus of course a longer journey means more diesel, tolls etc ..

Good luck

Steph

www.pwb53.com

Hi Shelley, I regularly take my 3.5t wagon down to France and don't pay freight . I joined BF's home owner scheme( they ask what your carrying-private furniture etc isn't classed as freight) and with the 33% discount BF were as competitive as anyone on the Brittany routes. If it's Dover-Calais you want then Sea France Freight was the cheapest, but be warned VERY basic and unpleasant ship.

Good luck with your move.

• 1 month later...

Archived