Complete France Forum

TRANSMANCHE FERRIES

JAKE

I have used Transmanche for two return trips in the last two months and was perfectly satisfied.      On one return there was a delay of departure for one and a half hours awaiting better weather but when we sailed there was no problem.       I live 35 mins away from Newhaven and it is so much easier to drive there than to Dover/Folkestone ( especially coming home ) and makes a good start to Paris or the South West.   The new boat is obviously far superior but a meal a snooze a read etc and only 35 mins to drive when we dock - can't grumble.

JAKE

Yes, when it works, it's fine. But there have been some serious problems with the service, and with this in mind Transmanche (which is effectively the Seine-Maritime local council) is seeking tenders from proper shipping companies to run the service on its behalf. There are several offers, including LD Lines (which took over the Portsmouth-Le Havre route from P&O), Norfolk Lines and Sea France. When the other new boat arrives in a few months time it should get better. Though the problems of running and maintaining the ports will still remain.

I recently visited UK via Transmanche. Ferry out was a bit "rough" (diesel smells, old, etc.) but then those travelling did not do much to help. However clean the self-service seating area, put in a load of kids throwing food around and it will start to look a bit of a tip. Ferry back was quite late (2-3 hours late), but then it was less than half the price of Brittany Ferries.

Newer boat on the way back was fine, as good as the BF boats (but late). Staff were helpful, etc. When travelling there is always the risk of delays, part of travelling. Maybe its down to how often there are delays and that would require looking into longer term punctuality data which I do not have.

Even when I was being a bit frustrated waiting around for a (very) late ferry, I found remembering the cost saving helped a lot. (Plus we did not hit anything either way)

Ian

Archived