Complete France Forum

Long live Motorail!

DZ

We have just come back from France by Motorail and what great experience it was in comparison to driving all the way South!  The terminals were really easy to find and all the staff helpful and fully bilingual.  The trains were old-fashioned but quaint and it was quite amazing to go to sleep in the North and wake up in the sunny South the next morning.  Had a nice breakfast laid out for us in the station restaurant and waited about 5 minutes for our car to be unloaded.  OK, it is expensive compared to driving all the way, but what a way to start (and finish) a holiday!  I just hope they will keep the service going - I am not sure how they can afford it, even with the current high prices.  Both ways, maximum of two compartments were occupied per carriage. All in all, a great way to travel.

Sadly, I suspect that it may not last for much longer.  Having said that, I've never used Motorail in France, though did with the equivalent in the UK years ago.

On face value, it's expensive as you say, but when you take into account the fuel, tolls, car wear & tear, (probable) overnight stops, then it's probably competitive-ish.

Two problems with it:

• the compartments can be a bit hot (though over here, they may well be air-con'd)
  • the service was never marketed properly (an old whinge of mine relating to the railways in general)

Glad it was good: hope the service continues.

I hope the service does continue. I agree that it seems expensive at face value but as stated when the true costs are driving to the south are taken into account it is value for money.

We tried it in a TVR to Brive and found that the ground clearance restrictions were in place for a good reason. In a VW Golf we had no bother and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, getting on in Calais and off the next morning in the south was great.

Now we have a Honda HRV and in the light of the problems with the TVR we have decided not to risk it with the height restrictions, otherwise we would have used it again as an alternative to the (expensive) ferry to Bilbao.

David

Archived