Complete France Forum

Joint ownership of Property

ironwoman

My girlfriend and I are in the process of buying a little house in Burgandy. We both live in New Zealand. The inheritance laws in France mean that if one of us dies the portion of the other will pass mainly to the other's relatives. Would it be possible to write in a clause Tontine to get over this problem. We are not a "cohabiting couple".

[quote user="ironwoman"]My girlfriend and I are in the process of buying a little house in Burgandy. We both live in New Zealand. The inheritance laws in France mean that if one of us dies the portion of the other will pass mainly to the other's relatives. Would it be possible to write in a clause Tontine to get over this problem. We are not a "cohabiting couple".[/quote]

Yes, although a Tontine might not be the best option. Ask a Notaire (I appreciate that it is difficult from 10,000 miles away!), but you could always fax your "situation" to the Notaire you are using for the purchase and let him/her write the appropriate clauses into the Acte/create SCI, etc...

Archived