Complete France Forum

Getting to CdG from west of Paris

Cassis

Has anyone got a simple, foolproof route to get to CdG if approaching Paris from the west on the N12?  I have to pick up the Outlaws tomorrow and, with the best will in the world, Jude is not, shall we say, the world's best navigator.  The hire car doesn't have sat-nav and I don't fancy trying to mapread whilst trying to negotiate Paris traffic.  This leads to a lot of arguing and stamping on brakes.  Routes avoiding the Péripherique would be very welcome.

Personal view only, I would not use the N12 but go to Rouen and pick up

the A13, its a peage I know and a longer route but its probably less

congested and faster / easier driving. A13, A14, A1 and follow the

white signs for CDG..Alternative would I suppose be the N12 and turn

left at Nonancourt to Evreux then N13 to A13 then ditto above. Only a

suggestion of course but I drove to CDG last week on the 84,13,14 etc.

Not cheap on the peage tho.

Regards

Yes, the A28's open - that's why it's an hour to Rouen instead of two!

I like the second route suggestion, just 20 mins longer than the direct N12 route and 8.80 in tolls - anyway, the Outlaws are paying fuel and tolls!

To save tempers and sanity (I hope) I'm going for it.  Wish me luck!

Hi Steve

Actually did both routes, the N12 then up to Evreux going and the Rouen route returning (cos we blasted past Evreux without noticing the turnoff).  Both are a lot better than hooking into the péripherique and took well under 3 hours. 

Thank you for the tips.

I think I prefer the N12 and Evreux route, though the signposting round Evreux to Paris is a bit hit and miss, because it lets me take the Route Forestière from Ancinnes via Fresnaye sur Chedouet to the N12 - it's a beautiful road, practically deserted, right through the centre of the Perseigne forest.

So it is!  Yours?  I do like them, they are really fun.

I've got another gripe about the Zafira - the position of the cruise control on the end of the indicator 'stalk' and manner of activating it - I switched on the indicator almost every time I used it!  Mind, I've never driven a car with cruise control before, I don't know if I would get bored with it after a while. 

Wonder if the next user will figure out how to switch all the displays back to French when it goes back next week?  [:D]

No unfortunately its not mine, I had it as a hire car for a couple of weeks ( 3 or 4 years ago) as a 'fly-drive' deal from Emirates. I loved it. We had fabulous weather and top down motoring in the Welsh hills was terrific.

The Zaf cruise does seem to take a bit of getting used to, not as user friendly as the clio I hired a couple of weeks ago to get to CDG from home but more friendly than my Isuzu Trooper cruise control.  It is undoubtably useful in avoiding speed fines tho, and ( according to No 1 son ) maximum use of cruise gives max mpg. I must admit to being a bit amused when you 'blasted straight past the turning to Evreux' thinking that 'blasting past' and Zafira were not quite compatible terms although 130kph is the same speed no matter what you are driving.

Interesting comment about the display. Ours is a UK model, Breeze edition with the optional electronic display pack etc and everything is mpg / mph of course. Is there a simple method to switch to kph etc or is that a European (Opel) availability only. I am much more conversant with kph as thats what we use here. Its not an issue but I would be interested in a quick change of format when in France. The car lives most of the year in UK with No 2 daughter.

Regards

[quote user="powerdesal"] It is undoubtably useful in avoiding speed fines tho, and ( according to No 1 son ) maximum use of cruise gives max mpg.[/quote]

That was my thinking on the way to the airport and for part of the journey back.

[quote user="powerdesal"]

I must admit to being a bit amused when you 'blasted straight past the turning to Evreux' thinking that 'blasting past' and Zafira were not quite compatible terms although 130kph is the same speed no matter what you are driving.[/quote]

After an hour with the Outlaws banging on behind me about 'Are we nearly there yet' I was trying to get back in minimum time as there was a stiff drink calling me.

[quote user="powerdesal"]

Interesting comment about the display. Ours is a UK model, Breeze edition with the optional electronic display pack etc and everything is mpg / mph of course. Is there a simple method to switch to kph etc or is that a European (Opel) availability only. I am much more conversant with kph as thats what we use here. Its not an issue but I would be interested in a quick change of format when in France. The car lives most of the year in UK with No 2 daughter.

[/quote]

DK about UK spec but I suspect they are the same for all countries - it has 10 language options and you separately could switch from ISO measurements to UK Imperial.  Via the top right "Settings" button on the central console, under the console screen.  Navigate the settings and select choices using a multifunction up-down-left-right-select button at the bottom centre-ish of the console (if I recall the layout correctly).  It's a 1.9CDTi.

Phil

PS It doesn't alter the mileometer and speedo settings though - just the in-car computer settings for trip computations, MPG, range etc. and the display for all the other computer functions like radio, CD etc.

I suspect your hire car was the later version. Ours is 1.9DTi 05 plate and was superceded a couple of months after we bought it.  'Manuel' does not mention changes/choices of display but I will check anyway next time I see the car (in 2007!!!!!). Thanks anyway.

'Are we there yet' brings back memories - or perhaps nightmares!!!!!

Archived