Complete France Forum

Autoroute Le Mans to Angers/Saumur

WendyG

My friend and I were driving our usual route to near Chinon when having got to Le Mans we passed the exit to the University and then suddenly found ourselves confronted with signs saying Orleans/Paris or Tours.  We soon realised that we were not on the usual road to Angers/Saumer ( usual autoroute direction Rennes/Nantes which then turns off to Angers etc.)

Whilst the new bit is very good it did take us a bit far off our destination and  wonder quite what happened - we were chatting so maybe we missed the turn off!, but I am wondering whether in fact we should have taken Orleans/Paris and if one then turned off onto the old autoroute to Angers.

Any information would be gratefully received for our next trip. My friend is actually French but even she finds the road signs somewhat bizarre and misleading!

Normally coming down the A28 from Rouen, you arrive at Le Mans junction 22 and take the A11 westbound signposted Nantes/Rennes.  In a short while, the A8 splits off to the west for Rennes and the A11 continues southwest for Nantes/Angers.

You appear to have taken the easybound A11 direction Orleans/Paris. This takes you in the opposite direction to Angers, but shortly afterwards, you pick up the A28 going south to Tours.  From Tours, it's a straight run down via Azay le Rideau to Chinon.

Archived