Complete France Forum

LD Lines

Mayennaise

I think I am being very thick and missing the blindingly obvious here.......... I e-mailed LD Lines regarding their Bulk Purchase of Tickets scheme. This morning I have received a reply. They are offering 10 tickets for £495 (£49.50 per ticket). 1 ticket = 1 crossing, therefore 2 tickets required for a return trip. All clear so far...... stay with me here.......2 x £49.50 = £99.00.

When I check the LD website, RETURN crossing for £59.00 - if booked far enough ahead.

What benefit is it to me to make a bulk purchase when it costs more per trip???????

Nick is absolutely right. Also LD Lines'  fares creep up well into three figures for peak seasons (though still well below the competition's equivalent crossings). So if you and friends are likely to make ten trips in July, August, May half term and Christmas, you will probably save money (I believe the tickets are transferable, though not certain). Otherwise, it is not really much of a saving. Though a fan of LD on another forum likes that fact that he can budget by knowing that each crossing costs a fixed amount.

Thank you for your replies, Nick & Will.  I think we will continue to book as far ahead as possible for our trips back to Blighty. The only reason we go is to see the family and as they all live in Portsmouth, LD is perfect for us. Brittany is nicer I know, but can be v. expensive. We think of it as budget airline versus upmarket scheduled flight!. We have the luxury of being able to book as far in advance as necessary, planning our trips to coincide with birthdays etc. Mind you - we did have to make three emergency trips last year for family funerals!!

PS Daughter no2, Husband and seven month old grandson came over for Noel with Brittany and it was nearly one hundred quid cheaper that LD and they booked in September!

Lesson = It pays to shop around. (If only Boulogne this side and Dover the other side were nearer our departure and arrival points then I know which company I would be using.!!)

Except that Eurotunnel load the frequent traveller fare by 20 or 30 pounds each way for times when many of us need to travel. They also seem to be increasing the number of days in the year when the £30 premium applies.

The problem that we have with LD is that it seems impossible to book a cabin unless the booking is made months in advance. My wife is prone to sea-sickness and we won't contemplate a long night crossing without a cabin. If LD increased the number of cabins we'd probably easily use 10 crossings a year but as it is we stick with Eurotunnel for most crossings.

I used the P&O season tiket last year with no problems, minimum purchase of 5 return trips Dover to Calais, I prefer the short trip, It cost me £390 total for 3 x over five days + 2 x under 5days return trips @ 3 x £90 and 2 x £60  could book or change travel times up to the day before at no extra cost, and if needed could pay the extra £30 to change to over 5 days if needed, could only book it over the phone it did not show it on the web site, hope to do again this year,  food is much better than it used to be and after the trip down to Dover time on the boat gives me a chance to re-charge the batterys before the next run down to 79.

Dave[+o(]

Archived