Complete France Forum

Water connection charges

I have recently moved into a new house (my third in France) and the water company wants to charge me 140 euros as a 'subscription fee'. This seems excessive, as they didn't have to reconnect the supply, all they had to do was change their records.  It's not a problem I've had before - they just read the meter and sent me a bill when appropriate, but it does seem to be an example of the increasing trend towards 'profit through bureaucracy' that one hopes Sarkozy will eventually stamp on.   Does anyone know when they introduced such measures, and under what powers they can do this? Is there a French equivalent of OfWat?

It's Veolia in Normandy - interestingly they also collect my dustbins in Kent! I'll bet my local council is paying through the nose too.

I know what you mean about the frais de dossier business...but I'm constantly surprised by the lack of any consumer power or rights in France. This timidity in the face of any form of authority makes you wonder how they ever managed to have a revolution.

No, its simply a charge for allowing me the privilege of having a contract with them. It's a bit like a baker requiring me to pay a quid in order to be allowed to purchase a loaf of bread. The Connex revelation explains it all however - Connex South East -the world's worst ever commuter train service. They got sacked from that but are obviously still in the rip off business!

Archived