Complete France Forum

LD Lines and Motorcycles

I posted on another forum the following:

''Hi,

I have looked around and come to the following conclusion - not rocket science but the companies may read this post and take action. The western ferries, BF and LD, do not cater for motorbikes with special deals or books of 10 single trips at reduced cost. Bikes are generally easy to park and use up space that cars/vans/lorries cannot fill. So why are we paying over the odds for bikes? Market forces I hear - and you are right which is why I use the following.

I currently use Ryanair during the winter(reasonable prices) and a mix of Speedferries/Eurotunnel during the summer (using their multi-trip vouchers). It works out at an extra 300 miles but the savings are significant and the ferries/trains are more frequent.

Come on LD Lines, no point in asking Brittany Ferries, get a grip and start considering the biker - if the deals are good (especially multi-trip) you will get my custom year round. I have sent an email to their customer services but I understand the MD of LD Lines reads this forum.

regards

Vernon''

I was hoping for a response - I was overjoyed to receive one very quickly from Beatrice of LD Lines:

''Dear Mr Stevens

My collegue will send at the end of the month a form for 10 single trip vouchers

We are looking forward to welcoming you on board the Norman Spirit

BEST REGARDS BEATRICE''

Now that is what I call quick service - if the price is right then this is one very happy motorcyclist who will use LD Lines.

regards

Vern Stevens

Thanks for posting that, it proves what I said earlier today in another topic here that LD Lines does use some of the forums and takes note of what its customers want.

The LD block-booking tickets have been criticised in the past, because it is sometimes possible to get a return trip at lower cost than using two of the single multi-tickets. But that is rather missing the point, you can use the multi-tickets on any crossing for which there is still space available, which can represent a big saving in peak season or at weekends. And it does make budgeting easier for frequent travellers.

I wonder if it will be possible to use these on any of the LD routes, or if just, as previously, Le Havre/Portsmouth?

• 2 months later...

Just an update for those interested....

Received an e-mail from LD Lines reference multi-trip package - hurrah.  Sadly the package was firmly aimed at cars - it is a real shame that they did not read my e-mail properly.  Have explained that the car deal is no inducement for a motorcycle rider but will not hold my breath.

It is a shame because I feel they are missing out on bikers that are happy to regularly commute by ferry but are forced by current pricing policies to use Ryanair for the following reasons:

1. Cheap

2. No parking fees for bikes at Stanstead

3. Cheap 

Hopefully the Director of LD Lines still reads this Forum and understands the frustration of a potential loyal client.

regards

Vern

They could also pick up business by making it possible to book a return trip travelling via Portsmouth one way and Newhaven in the other direction rather than having to buy two singles. The extra choice of timings would mean that the service would suit a lot more potential users. It must be possible, Brittany Ferries allows pick-and-mix on routes. 

The difficulty with motor bikes these days is that they are not all small and come in a variety of sizes. They are expensive machines and all we owners want them treated very carefully. With a car you simply park it with a motor bike we want to have it secured either on a special stand or to something secure like a bulk-head. I have to admit that then this usually tends to take up more space than just the bike as unless it's a proper stand then, it's difficult to put anything near it.

Add to that, many, if not most bikes these days do not have centre stands, which makes it more difficult for the ferry companies to secure them properly. I understand this is the underlying reason why Speedferries will no longer carry bikes. They have had the odd side stand fail.

Even Norfolk Line have now added a surcharge for bikes over 2 m long, which means anything more than a moped really.

From my research, Sea France do the best deals for bikes at the moment.

PS, I was trying to work out how you got a bike on Ryanair Vernon, until I realised that you left it at Stanstead.

Archived