Complete France Forum

HD Ferries - not an auspicious start!

We were there, St Malo, lovely Thursday morning. Pity that HD's "flagship" HD1 wasn't...

Broken engine, we gather (contrary to the story we were given in St Malo) - but then, I wouldn't use my 10-year-old van as the sole vehicle in a new transport enterprise....

Eventually got to St Peter Port 2 hours late, then got back to St Malo that evening 1 1/2 hours late.

Boat not too clean, considering that it had not been used, food prices (we had to buy lunch on board, as we were so late) about UK motorway standards (as was the quality), most of the ladies loos (so I gather!) didn't work. NO BEER in the bar - "It's on board, it just hasn't been enetered onto the till yet". etc etc.

And the Captain could do with a few reversing lessons...

Didn't get to Guernsey at all on Friday.

And I wonder why if I take my estate car (just short of 5M long) next week, the fare is £59 (pretty good, I reckon). If I use my van (significantly smaller than the car), the fare is £94 (still not bad)? Then again, bookings are handled by the same shower who do LD - so we can only expect the same (awful) level of service. Don't get me started.

• 2 months later...

And now they have broken it again, leaving the passengers stranded in St Peter Port. Until Condor rescue them, of course.

We have used HD 10 times since they started and they have broken down twice - I make that a 20% failure rate. (And that doesn't include an entertaining security lapse..)

That is what you get if you buy cheap chinese-built boats, I guess.

Archived