Complete France Forum

The Romance of Air Travel

Ian

It occurred to me today on my budget flight home, that the romance of air travel no longer exists:  Being served by beautiful air-hostesses in well tailored suits, sitting next to Alan Whicker and  sipping gin and tonic....

Did it ever?

Your problem is that you are just too young.  I remember flying BOAC from the Far East and the hostesses changed with the countries and also changed their costumes.  You'd stop at Dehli and they'd come on in  saris and serve fresh mangoes.  Then you'd stop off in Tehran or some such place and they'd come on in their dance-of-the-seven veils Sheherazade costumes.  Finally, you'd reach London and Heathrow, while not as scruffy as what it is now, actually did have a "welcome home" feel and , if  it's winter, it would be snowing and you'd think you were glad to be alive and had survived the trip half-way around the world

I still remember my very first flight and how wonderful it was, actually it was one of the vey few times I was bumped up (to First class!!!) I was only 15 and I agreed to change my seat so a family could sit together.  The lovely stewardess said 'walk this way' (I resisted the 'if I could walk that way I wouldn't need the vasaline') and there we were up at the front - Lovely Jubbly

The novelty soon wears off though.

I think it was in 1973 when there was poitical unrest (and shooting) in Portugal just as my temp job there was coming to an end, I flew back to Heathrow and sat next to another girl about my age. Behind us were a BBC reporter and an Australian reporter who had been covering events. They had the Air Hostess swivel the seats round so that it made us face them with a table in between and we enjoyed a rather boozy flight........

[quote user="Russethouse"]I think it was in 1973 when there was poitical unrest (and shooting) in Portugal just as my temp job there was coming to an end, I flew back to Heathrow and sat next to another girl about my age. Behind us were a BBC reporter and an Australian reporter who had been covering events. They had the Air Hostess swivel the seats round so that it made us face them with a table in between and we enjoyed a rather boozy flight........[/quote]

Nothing that exciting ever happened to me when I used to fly from various countries back to Heathrow - lucky you. Mind you I did once fly out to Spain - 1966 I think it might have been - sitting a couple of seats away from Sean Connery and his then wife; I remember being astonished they weren't flying first class until I remembered he's a Scot.

Sue [:)]

Archived