Complete France Forum

Attestation Notairee? (Hope that's spelt right!)

rangeela

Hello all!

Been reading and finding answers to my questions on this forum for quite a while now, Not needed to post until now.

I just need some advice from anyone who has been through something like my situation.

I moved to France in 2005 to be with my french girlfriend (at that time!). We had a child in Jan 2006 and got married the following year Jan 2007.

We have just had another child and I have only recently started working a permanent job.

The house in which we live is in my wife's name and so is the mortgage. We would like to add my name to the ownership and mortgage, so that we can apply for an increase. For the mortgage, the bank has told us to get an "Attestation Notairee" to be able to make this change.

Anyone know what this is and how much it would cost?

Doing some research, I have also found that it would be beneficial for us and our children for us to see a notaire about our marriage regime. We did not sign any special papers when we got married and stuck to the standard attestation provided by the Mairie. Can anyone tell me what would be best for our situation?

My french is not that great and am trying to find an english speaking notaire in Ain (near Gex). Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Pritesh [:-))]

Hi there

Yes, a visit to a notaire is probably best for you, he will answer your questions properly, and according to the law!  I don't live near you but if you fill this in

http://www.notaires.fr/notaires/annuaire.nsf/F_RN_RECH_PUB?OpenForm&comLangue=FR

and be sure to specify English as the other language, some suitable suggestions should pop up.

We used the Notaires website to find an English speaking Notaire when we bought our house - his English was excellent and the whole process of the Acte was in English - English vendor and agent and us, English buyers. He only spoke French when translating the English that he had just spoken to the buyers French only speaking Notaire.

Paul

[quote user="londoneye"]

Do you think it really means they will speak English or just be able to say hallo ??

[/quote][:D]

Because all legal documents have to be understood by all parties (if you can't speak enough French and the Notaire does not speak English, you are obliged to have a translator there, and they must initial all said documents to confirm that you understood) I imagine they could not get away with just a smattering.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Hi there

Yes, a visit to a notaire is probably best for you, he will answer your questions properly, and according to the law!  I don't live near you but if you fill this in

http://www.notaires.fr/notaires/annuaire.nsf/F_RN_RECH_PUB?OpenForm&comLangue=FR

and be sure to specify English as the other language, some suitable suggestions should pop up.

[/quote]

Thats a really good site. If you go to the home page there is a tiny, tiny unon jack to get the site in English and there is loads of info on all sorts of things like wills, death of husband/wife, effect of English law etc. Very helpful.

Archived