Complete France Forum

SP95 Fuel

Baz

After many years petrol in France was cheaper than the UK when based on Stirling. Using the average Supermarket prices as of  this weekend and the current exchange rates this is no longer the case. I am travelling to France on Thursday so I will be filling up in the UK for the first time in possibly 20 years. Whilst the gap is narrowing for Gazole, France is still cheaper.

Baz

This is a daft question but how much is gaole in France then?  I've never really taken notice as I fill up to the brim in Luxembourg (1.007 euros per litre - yes that's 1.007 not 1.07)  and I'm flying on fumes by the time I get back.  Usually have to have a little top-up in Belgium at 1.17 euros.   I bought some diesel in the UK over Christmas at 1.08 POUNDS per litre, that's 1.45 euro [:'(]

On an autoroute three weeks ago, SP98 was 1,52€/litre compared to 1,32€/litre at our local Super U. This morning 95 was 1,34€, 98 was 1,36 and gasoil was 1,20€. I have never seen fuel so expensive in the last 18 years in France as it is now and it looks like continuing to rise fuelling strikes by fishermen,truckers and workers in general at the moment,plus increasing the prices in the supermarkets of our everyday needs.

Sadly, I am convinced that the fuel companies and the government, (because of the extra VAT), have been trying to force the public in the UK to accept the £1 a litre for fuel for AGES.

Now it's sneaked over that price, watch it fly. I predict £1.50 before next year[:@]

And STILL the petrol companies insist they make hardly any profit from fuel.......

And STILL the UK government refuses to lower the the fuel duty or the extra VAT it gets from the windfall.

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]
And STILL the petrol companies insist they make hardly any profit from fuel.......
And STILL the UK government refuses to lower the the fuel duty or the extra VAT it gets from the windfall.
[/quote]

Why should they reduce taxes, prices etc ? More and more vehicles are being registered, more product is being sold so no need to. Do you know anyone who drives fewer miles because of increasing costs ?

John

not

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]Sadly, I am convinced that the fuel companies and the government, (because of the extra VAT), have been trying to force the public in the UK to accept the £1 a litre for fuel for AGES.

Now it's sneaked over that price, watch it fly. I predict £1.50 before next year[:@]

[/quote]

I agree that the price of fuel will zoom up now - Smart cars are looking more and more attractive.

I do believe the petrol companies make hardly anything from fuel, in fact their main revenue source (by a long way) is oil exploration and speculation.

Consider that only about 10% of a barrel of oil can be used for fuel, then approx the same percentage on each of plastics, fertilisers, chemicals etc.  More than half the barrel is only good for bunker fuel and laying on roads.  By the time it gets to the pumps, the poor guy running the filling station is getting one or two pence per litre. Can't think of any other commodity that is sold on such a slim margin so no wonder they sell all sorts of other stuff to make a living.  I'm not a great lover of the big oil companies but they are necessary and come in for unjustified flack over fuel IMHO. Much more worrying is if the price of fertiliser goes through the roof.

Archived