Complete France Forum

Port of Dover Closed

Baz

Good job I chose to come back on Sunday via the tunnel rather than Ferry on Monday which was going to be my choice until a few days ago. Didnt even get held up by Operation Stack as the A20 diversion was empty early Sunday morning. I was in France long before I would have even left Dover and for £50 more - worth every penny!

When we left for France just over a week ago we were transferred from Sea France to P&O due to the Sea France strike.

We arrived at Calais yesterday afternoon after a pretty windy drive up from our overnight stop at Orleans and were transferred from Sea France to the Channel Tunnel. I don't know what would have happened if we had been booked with P&O and whether we would have been given a  free transfer to the tunnel?

Yesterday certainly wasn't a great day for driving though and the conditions on the M25 were pretty terrible at times.

Anyone know if there are still problems on the M20?  We are due to travel to Dover early Friday for the 7.00am Speedferries crossing to Boulogne(weather permitting!)  and are worried how long it will take with the roadworks and the lorries parked on the M20.

The tunnel would have been very expensive as we are taking the trailer but it will be the tunnel on the return journey.

The best idea is to keep an eye on the Port's website.

http://www.doverport.co.uk/?page=TrafficTravelWeather

Their travel updates are usually refreshed every couple of hours.

Not only does it cover news of the ferries it also update you on the current roadworks and Operation Stack.

The main problem at present is the Seafrance strike, and the weather isn't helping!

At present the officers of Seafrance are still on strike and are asking the Government to intervene. It may be settled by the weekend but it has been going on for nearly a fortnight.

Travelled back to UK today via the tunnel.  Junction 8 to 9 still closed southbound this afternoon with a long tailback approaching junction 8 as lorries are sent down the M20 to be "stacked/filtered" down to Folkestone and Dover, and other traffic is sent on a diversion on the A20 towards Ashford before joining the M20 again at Junction 9. Wasn't too bad when we went out late morning last Sunday, but looked much worse this afternoon as we passed on the way back.  Allow extra time for this diversion.

Also if you are heading to the tunnel in France be prepared for diversions on the A16 from both north and south as traffic there is affected by the French version of 'Operation Stack'. Having called in to Sainsburys at Coquelles we were diverted south down to J38 before the diversion allowed us back north to the tunnel at J43.

Brian(again)

Archived