Complete France Forum

Diesel Shortages !

Having just read on my return to the UK  there is now a shortage of Diesel..which explains why I am paying 112.9 p a ltr  locally ........I can now understand why I found  the card only  pumps at the  garage by the  ferry terminal in Caen were switched off on Tuesday      Two lorry drivers were looking very worried indeed ..  Garage stocks  must have gone as I was told  they had been switched off for two days !...... I imagine there will be an  even bigger demand for fuel now by returning diesel car and lorry owners ...so ..... I for one will be finding a supermarket and  filling my tank BEFORE  I get to the port side in future ....

[quote user="Frederick"]

... I can now understand why I found  the card only  pumps at the  garage by the  ferry terminal in Caen were switched off on Tuesday      Two lorry drivers were looking very worried indeed ..  Garage stocks  must have gone as I was told  they had been switched off for two days !...... [/quote]

IIAR we stopped at the garage you mention last night after leaving the BF ferry at Caen at 22H30 and there was plenty of diesel available; though at a price - 1.269 euros/litre - having been 1.229 when we filled up there before leaving France on 6 March.

Sue

Thanks for the information Sue ...they obviously have had a delivery ...Most drivers returning to the UK. or disembarking in France ...... if they are like me ..may look to fill up at the  French port .... We might now  find  port side  garages  are being pushed to keep up with the demand .from UK mororists seeking cheaper fuel ...Given there are not that many garages near ports to choose from ... and given  people may not have the time to go looking for one before booking in ...I think it might be  wise to fill up before you get to the port when returning to the UK rather than risk finding a garage with no fuel  as I did !

[quote user="Frederick"] ...I think it might be  wise to fill up before you get to the port when returning to the UK rather than risk finding a garage with no fuel  as I did ![/quote]

In effect that is what we did; we made a point of filling up before leaving home in the Morbihan and then topped up at Caen - it is too damaging to the wallet to think of arriving in the UK on a last gasp of diesel!

Sue

Archived