Complete France Forum

Ryanair - bag snatchers...

MrCanary

Two friends from England will be visiting us for a week at our French home in August.

Their two return flights will come to a total of £148. That's £37 each, each way. That is acceptable for August.

But they want to bring and return with, one bag each - of course, weighing no more than 15 kilos.

This will add another £84 for the two bags...

Gold

Very glad to see that you find that £37 each way for a flight to France in August is acceptable,   You could of course tell your friends to do what they did before Ryanair chose to fly to an airport that allows them to fly out to see you for the price of a ferry ticket.

Your constant carping about Ryanair is getting very monotonous, Its really as simple as this, if you  don't like them, don't use them.[:@]

[quote user="Mel"]

Their two return flights will come to a total of £148. That's £37 each, each way. That is acceptable for August.

This will add another £84 for the two bags...

[/quote]

That's £ 116.00 each sounds very reasonable to me for August, Did they compare any other operators?

Hi Jacqui,

No other operators are available and as I suggested in my original post, I agree that, for August, the flights are reasonable. The shocking part though is the cost for the two bags. I guess if Ryanair just said, it will be 58 quid each, each way, it would be taken at face value and that would be that. But the bags are costing more than two people would at many other times of the year...

Mel

I find your figures odd, firstly to add 2 bags( which would need airport check-in) would be an extra £36.00 your friends must have added priority boarding plus travel insurance, still that would only come to an extra £71.06 not £84 so the bags are not the whole problem here!!

Nope - I checked with them at the time...

The £148 (+ a few pence) figure was given as the total cost and then there was a drop-down menu in response to the question about taking bags/cases for the hold. After the 'two bags' option was chosen, the additional charges of £42 each way was given!

The problem is that your friends chose the two bags each option at a cost of 42 pounds per person ie 84 pounds for the two of them

I presume they should have chosen the one bag each and airport check in option at 18 pounds each

So it is not Ryanair who are rip off it is your friends inability to navigate and understand the Ryanair web site.

PS Glasgow to Stansted and Stansted to Poitiers return in April        for one person including CC fee,no insurance,hand luggage  42 pounds .Would have cost another 36 pounds for a bag so opted for hand luggage

[quote user="Mel"]

Ernie - the male half of the couple said he was quite happy with just hand luggage...

But.......   Vacation 2

[/quote]

Exactamundo - the clothes that we don't wear on holiday are left at home, why is this such an alien concept for the distaff side ?

John

The problem with hand luggage, is that the low cost airlines are making it increasingly difficult for passengers to avoid checking in luggage, by reducing their hand luggage allowances. After all they need the additional income with oil at $115 a barrel.

Even though the one item of hand luggage restriction has been removed from most British airports, the low cost carriers have alone maintained the restriction and in many cases tightened the weight and size limits of the one bag you are allowed, which is being strictly enforced. I wonder why!

My mum is 80 years young and we always have to book her flight with a suitcase for the hold, as it is too difficult for her to lug a hand luggage case around the airport, then to the gate, often the longest walk imaginable at east Midlands and then lift it up into the space above the seats.  So there are many reasons for booking a hold and yes it is a shock especially when as I did booked my daughter and I with handluggage at £20 one way then had to book seperately my mums even though we are travelling together as we could not check in online with someone with a case!!  

Lollie

Ryanair have just announced increases for checked in bags (now £16 per

bag) and a check-in fee of £8 per return journey, both effective from May 5. Seems this is a ploy by Ryanair to discourage passengers taking too much luggage in order to make their aircraft lighter and so use less fuel. (others may see this as an attempt to raise revenue to counter increasing oil prices, while still keeping the headline fare on offer as cheap as possible).

Brian (again)

ref: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/apr/28/ryanair.theairlineindustry

Archived