Complete France Forum

Van hire versus buy

We are moving over this summer to our little house we've had 5 years.  We haven't got a full load for a removal lorry as we already have furniture there - and, apart from the huge cost - a big lorry couldn't get up our street.

We are debating between hiring a van to move stuff over - possible including doors from B & Q- and buying one so there's no rush to get it back.  We can hire a van for less than £400 for a week.  It would take 2 days each way so a bit knackering.  Problem is we haven't anyway to park near the house. We bought a garage but haven't used it yet as want to strengthen the floor (due to steepness of village, there is a space below the garage floor to which I really would't want a vehicle to fall through!)

Any thoughts?

I was faced with this problem a few monthsback to transport a single large bulky item Scotland to Southern France. I already live here.

Van hire was expensive and meant a long drive to return it empty. I suppose you could try to work something out with someone who needed stuff moved the other way to subsidise your return trip.

In the end, I bought a cheap used trailer and towed it myself. The purchase price of the trailer was less than the van rental for the required period, plud the trailer has turned out very usefull on other occasions.

Obvously, this assumes you have a towcar powerfull enough, have the right licence categories to tow with, and have somewhere to store the trailor afterwards (it will weigh less so wont stress your floor!)

We have a home in Norwich and one in Indre et Loire, eventually wanting to retire to the latter. I have often pondered the same question, 'hire or buy'? I tend to stick with hire because if I bought a van, it would have to be good enough to make a few trips, but not so good that it is expensive to buy. My worry is that an older van could cost a lot in repair bills one day, and when I have finished with it at the French end, who would take it off me?

I have to admit though, I hadn't really thought about Dave's idea of buying a used trailer. I will now be considering that!

Thanks for helpful replies.  Might think about a trailer - sounds a cheaper option.  Don't want to get involved with hiring a 'man with a van' as likely to be more expensive and friends did that with unfortunate results.

I know what you mean about an old, possibly unreliable van but if we can get one that isn't too decrepit there'd be no worrying about rushing back to return a hired one. 

Now here is a suggestion for you! E-Mail Bob Christy O'Brien on sailingvagrant@yahoo.com

He goes backwards and forwards to his yacht and will do favours as far as delivering items. He is not a professional mover shifter!

Bonne chance!

Llantony, I'd echo the suggestion of trailer hire, if you've a suitable car.

I'm going back to the UK this week to collect the rest of our stuff from Edinburgh. I'm hiring a box trailer here (like a small horsebox, about 5 cubic metres), taking it over, then returning with it full. It'll cost me €200 for ten days, plus the additional costs on the ferry.

Having it for ten days means I don't have to rush to load/unload, the way I'd have to, with a van.

However you do it, good luck.

Several years ago we bought a Transit van for £400 - nothing to look at, but it had a new MOT. That went back and forwards to France countless times and all it really cost us, other than fuel, was tax and insurance (not dear), a bit of engine work (which, being a simple engine, even I could do successfully) some small parts and a couple of tyres to get it through another MOT. It was amazingly useful even when not travelling back and forth. It became less reliable once it was finally in France, but it had done its job by then and we were able to sell it for spares. Maybe we were lucky, but it was one of the best investments ever.

Hi

We bought a trailer - spents hours searching for one (ebay etc) ultimately we got a new one - for not much more than ebay second hand ones- we paid £599  (6x4feet) for it & already it's earned its keep.

4 trips to France so far -clearing out stuff we want to keep & essentials for France,  as well as clearing old brick + frame & heavy thick 'concertina' shower enclosure & grim timber & very old insulation which we did ourselves  in France to the village tip- great saving we think.  Plombier not keen on doing this.

We thought of a cheap van, but decided that a cheap one could become a liability & costly to keep  on the road,  & uncomfortable to drive the long distance to France too.   In between trips the trailer here in Wilts is also working - huge pile to the trip, collecting stuff, even a car boot sale.

We plan to retire to France soonish & will take it with us - strangely it's made in France, many sold in the UK  are French made.

regards

tegwini

Archived