Complete France Forum

Leaving a car at a french airport?

How many folk do this? My wife is a teacher, so we go every holiday bar Christmas, and would really like to leave our ageing Xantia in France, and travel by air from the UK.

I'm getting soooooo fed up of the journey, same old same old, I do all the driving, and even with talking books both ways it's BORING me to death.[:(]

Add to that the TEN MILE tailback at the Dartford crossing, the mess at Dover on the Friday before Whit, the mess at Calais trying to get through UK Passports, and the UNwelcome home via the UK customs at Dover, (WHY aren't buses subject to the same???), and it's a wonder I haven't committed murder yet[Www]

It seems to be the 4-5 hours down the UK and back up from Dover thaqt really do for me, so, short of using the ridiculously expensive Hull-Zeebrugge crossing, I fancy trying air travel.

So..........which airports near to Limoges are Brit car friendly? If any?

And what sort of cost would I be looking at to leave a car for 6 weeks at a time?

TIA.

I did not think they were abused. If owners of an airport do not set up tarrifs and arrangements for long term parking and you leave your car there  then it does not seem to mean abuse. It just means the airport owners have not received enough pressure from the local taxi drivers. If there are signs which say leave you car here for less than a fortnight because this parking is reserved for Frenchmen flying upto Paris on Mondays who will be home by Friday that is one thing

[quote user="Boiling a frog"]Stansted comes to mind[/quote]

Sorry? It came to my mind too, but it's easier to get to than Dover, we can go by train, or be dropped off by either son, and anyway, East Mids flys to Limoges too. I'm eagerly awaiting Doncaster starting some flights to France too, ........maybe one day?

Stansted is around 2.5 hours from us, East Mids less than 2 hours.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]I did not think they were abused. If owners of an airport do not set up tarrifs and arrangements for long term parking and you leave your car there  then it does not seem to mean abuse.... [/quote]

I understand your logic, Anton. Did you see any of the cars left at Limoges last year? There were three (amonst several others, all on U plates) which stood out like sore thumbs, seemingly abandoned and not even parked within the bays properly and taking up two spaces, another was half on the grass bank. Speculation on this forum suggested that perhaps they'd been 'parked' when it was snowing. They were there for months and eventually the BMW became more and more vandalised. It must have been a shock for the owner.

I wouldn't leave my car for anything more than a fortnight on cost grounds alone. It is a problem for home owners who visit infrequently but I suggest trying to come to an arrangement with a neighbour for an airport pickup; cheaper than a taxi. Alternatively it would be great if they could find someone nearby with space in a barn, then it would only require a short taxi ride. Easier said than done.

Sid

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

If I understand correctly, the car is to be left more or less permanantly in France?

If so, you'll have to register/insure it there for sure.

[/quote]

Yes, that was the idea, but I thought I'd just do what so many other Brits do, save a bit of dosh and not tax it, insure it, MoT it, etc[:D]

No, really..............I knew I'd have to do all that, so didn't bother asking, just the bit I didn't know, thanks anyway.

Archived