Complete France Forum

Claiming Compensation

AnOther

If your flight is cancelled you may well be entitled to compensation under EC regulation 261/2004 however the airlines can and do regularly wriggle out of paying up because they almost invariably claim, usually untruthfully, that it was down to exceptional, technical or safety reasons outwith their control.

Now though there is an organisation EUclaim.co.uk which will pursue a claim on your behalf on a no win no fee basis.

There is a Guardian article about it HERE 

Well worth a read and a place in your bookmarks I'd say.

Nice to see Ryanair have several showings in the list of successful claims [;-)]

Funny you should post that today. I wasnt thinking of claiming compensation but.......

we had booked a flight from Girona (just over the Spanish border) to Tenerife for October. Have just received an e mail to say that it is cancelled, as are all flights on that route from 1st october.

The next cheapest way to do it seems to be to take Ryanair from Perpignan to Stansted and then from Stansted to Tenerife. (mind you it leaves before 7 in the morning!!)

I would do this and book up today while it is cheap but am afraid that these flights too might be cancelled or, even worse, one of the two flights might be cancelled, either leaving us stranded at Stansted or else unable to get there to catch the Tenerife bound flight. what do you all think? have Ryanair finished their cancellations now do you think?

I think cancellation in terms of a claim for compensation refers to 'on the day at the airport' rather than advance notice that a route is being withdrawn when clearly they have no option but to transfer you, with your agreement, to another acceptable flight or refund you in full.

Who knows when any airline will cancel a route, it's all about the economics and I'm afraid it's a risk you may just have to take [:(]

The most common excuse for cancelled flights is 'bad weather'  Since the weather is outside of the airline's control they do not then have to offer any form of compensation.

I remember being in line boarding a flight to someplace from Bristol when Flybe announced the cancellation of their flight to Toulouse due to bad weather at Toulouse.  I called my mate in TLS who told me it was clear sky and calm there.  I took great delight in telling this to some of Flybe's disgruntled PAX!!!!

Archived